Monday, April 14, 2008

Right to Work... for LESS!

Yesterday afternoon, I was grocery shopping at my neighborhood King Soopers. (...with 4 kids, it's a very big event) As I was leaving, I was asked to sign a petition. Of course, I had to ask what the petition was for. The young man said it was "to stop those rich politicians from receiving $100,000 contributions." Intrigued, I actually read the petition. Unfortunately, the information he was giving was incorrect! The petition would prevent union members from having dues deducted from their paychecks. (BTW~ union membership and dues deduction is voluntary for DCTA/CEA members).

As a proud union member, I of course gave him a piece of my mind, and told him that the information he was sharing was untrue, and that I was going to report him. I left a message for our friend, Carmen Rhodes at FRESC. I then returned to King Soopers and asked to speak with the UFCW steward, Steph. She called the UFCW business agent to report it.

Union membership is a choice in Colorado, as is dues deduction. No one should be able to take the right to organize away from us. Check out CEA's website for more information at: http://www.coloradoea.org/whatsnew/workforless.cfm

or UFCW Local 7 : http://www.ufcw7.org/index.cfm?page=righttoworkforless

"In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans, as 'right-to-work.' It provides no 'rights' and no 'works.' Its purpose is to destroy labor unions and the freedom of collective bargaining... We demand this fraud be stopped."
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

1 comment:

lea prez said...

Wow, what a great blog! I'm not surprised that DCTA is out in front again. Now i'm going to have to start a blog just to stay in your rear view mirror.