Sunday, May 4, 2008

NBPTS Renewal!

On April 30th, I mailed my "Box" in to the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards! I certified in 1999, and this was my first opportunity to attempt renewal as a Middle Childhood Generalist. (www.nbpts.org) National Board Certification must be renewed every 10 years.

Since November, I have had the pleasure of working with Carrie Olson's 6th grade Literacy Skills class, at Kepner MS. Reconnecting with students continues to be a wonderful experience. I taught the Reading Advantage progran, working with the Level A students... kinda. (Do you really think I could stick to a script??)

The renewal process entails a "Profile of Professional Growth". It requires teachers to document 4 Professional Growth Experiences that have shaped their careers as a learner, mentor, and professional educator. It's kind of like a portfolio including narratives, reflections, a body of evidence, and video of your teaching.
After 5 months of hard work, my portfolio was shipped off to Texas, and now the harder part... waiting until November for the results!

1 comment:

kscott said...

Five months! I thought the renewal didn't require quite as much work. Did you find yourself explaining "why" behind everything you did in your renewal box just as much as your original box? Or, was it more of a documented narrative of the things you had been involved in over the past ten years?